Events have been underway since the beginning of July but you can still take part in the festivities for this year’s National Children’s Book Day!
NCBD is held every third Tuesday of July by the Philippine Board on Books for Young People (PBBY) in cooperation with the Cultural Center of the Philippines Intertextual Division to commemorate the anniversary of the publication of Jose Rizal’s “The Monkey and the Turtle” in Trubner’s Oriental Record in London. This year’s theme is “Sa Pagbabasa, Hindi Ka Nag-iisa” — a hopeful and encouraging message amidst the current climate and the need for social distancing.
Aside from their live online storytelling sessions via the PBBY Facebook page (Bodjie Pascua of the Philippine Educational Theater Association, a.k.a. Kuya Bodjie of Batibot fame, is up on the 21st at 3 p.m.!), the PBBY has a lineup of other activities this week:
- July 21, 10 a.m. – Awarding ceremony for the winners of the Alcala and Salanga Prizes and opening of virtual Ang Ink Exhibit (PBBY Facebook page)
- July 21, 12 p.m. — Storytelling Play with Posh Devalos (CCP Arts Education Facebook page)
- July 22, 3 p.m. — Tara, Guhit Tayo! How to draw your favorite Filipino children’s book characters with Beth Parrocha and Liza Flores (PBBY Facebook page)
- July 23, 3 p.m. — Liwanagan: Illustrating difficult subjects, with artist group Sinag (PBBY Facebook page)
- July 25, 3 p.m. — Lock ’n Roll: Interview with the 2020 Alcala and Salanga award winners (check the PBBY Facebook page for details)
View this post on Instagram
Nakikiisa ang Adarna House, Anvil Publishing, Lampara Books, at Hiyas Books sa pagdiriwang ng Philippine Board of Books for Young People (PBBY) ng 37th National Children’s Book Day sa Hulyo 21, 2020. Dalawampung bagong aklat pambata, na nilikha sa tulong ng Room to Read, ang ilulunsad sa Buribooks.com sa araw na ito! Magsign up lamang sa website o sa Buribooks app para mabasa ang mga akda nang libre mula Hulyo 21 hanggang 28. Dahil sa Pagbabasa, hindi ka nag-iisa! 📖 #NCBD #PBBY #SaPagbabasaHindiKaNagiisa #RoomtoRead #AdarnaHouse #AnvilPublishing #LamparaBooks #HiyasBooks #Buribooks
Local publishers are also joining in on the fun: Adarna House, Anvil Publishing, Lampara Books and Hiyas Books in cooperation with Room to Read will be releasing a set of 20 new children’s books online via Buribooks. Just sign up at the Buribooks website to access the titles for free from July 21 to 28.
Hiyas is also offering discounts on their children’s books and homeschooling bundles plus a free webinar (“Protecting Our Children during the Pandemic,” July 25, 4 p.m.) while Adarna House will be giving away crocheted ampalaya dolls to the first 25 people to purchase the book Alamat ng Ampalaya on their website on the 21st. Follow the publishers on Facebook for more details and announcements.